Thursday, September 07, 2006

Where the heck have I been?


Busy busy busy - but we are finally settling into our new home in Okinawa Japan! It's VERY hot here, and humid, and it rains just about every single day - but I love it! There are so many new sights and smells and sounds - it's just awesome!
We've seen gigantic flies - well, ONE gigantic fly, and it was dead, but after I tell you how big it was - you'll understand when I say - I'm kinda HAPPY it was dead when I found it!!! It measured approximately 4 inches from wingtip to wingtip, and was approximately 4 inches long - a FLY!!!!! It was crazy to see all of it's bazillion eyes - so big!!! EEEEWWWWW!
There are also LOTS of snails here, most of them seem to be your regular cute little snails - but THESE ones are gigantic - and they make a horrible scary sucking squiching noise when you touch them - shudder - but I still like 'em of course LOL! Ginger (the dog) thinks they're TOYS, until she gets close and they retreat, VERY noisily, into their shells - then she turns tail and runs haha!
Lizards are also running rampant around here - at night you can hear them making their little "chucka chucka chucka" noises - if you don't know what I'm talking about - they puff out their necks and make a kinda squawky noise - hmmmm - maybe I should make a sound bite and insert it in here LOL! Geckos are good luck though - so we all LIKE them - oh yeah - except for Tim who came walking, VERY rapidly, outta the shower the first night we were here. HUGE EYES. Trying to sound calm. "There's a gigantic lizard in the shower". I laughed, and he said, "is he gonna BITE me?" - of course, I had to laugh again LMAO! Mr. big bad Marine, veteran of wars and racetracks - scared of a little lizard! OK, in all fairness, it wasn't THA

2 comments:

JS KiM said...

i wouldn't be able to stand so close to a giant snail and not want to scream, squash it, or just run away screaming. just the though of HEARING them slither about is ~ shiver. i don't want to think about it.

i love the discount stores. however, ours is not limited to 100 yen. it max i've seen so far is like 500 yen.
the one i know of is called "daiso".

oh, hi, from fellow ravelry-person! ^^

Rabble Rouser said...

Realizing this is a bazillion years old, I still have to ask...

Is the East West Gift Shop still there in Koza? Charlie’s Tacos? China Pete's?

We were at Torii Station, twice, from March '74 to December '75 and then again from January '78 to June '80. My first tour there was just after reversion and the yen exchange was 350 yen. They were driving on the right hand side of the road, too. It was during our second tour that they converted to left side driving on “7/30 Day.” All traffic on the island was halted from midnight to 6:00 a.m. that day and at 6, a loud siren (Civil defense siren, I think) sounded, and the JP's led traffic into the left lane. There were more than 200 accidents that day, mostly involving buses and taxi cabs.

Our maid, Keiko, cost us a whopping $30 a month. She cleaned our house, did our laundry, starched and iron our fatigues, and often looked after the kids when we had to stay late at work.

Back then, there was a mile long waiting list to have a phone on the local economy. And preference was (justifiably) given to permanent residents rather than transitory military folk from the US. My second child was born there at Kuwae Naval Hospital.

I'd go back on vacation, for sure.

Anyway, thanks for letting me reminisce (like you had a choice, amiright?).